BBC News pages

Rob Styles rob.styles at dynamicorange.com
Tue May 3 10:46:37 EDT 2011

Interesting, I just tried this is on my fedora machine and both
download straight away, just with get_iplayer and the URL of the page.

On OSX they don't work, they give:

./get_iplayer --modes=iphone,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal --url
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12018733

get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12018733 using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (iphone,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal)
available for this programme with version 'default' (try using
--modes=)
ERROR: Failed to record ' -  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12018733)'

maybe something about underlying xpath libs or something? as I see
from the verbose output it's grabbing and parsing additional xml
playlists and stuff.

So, I'd like to say thanks for telling me it should just work - which
made me try it on Linux where it does just work and also suggest maybe
someone with more knowledge try it on OS X. :)

rob

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Matthew Tompsett <matthewbpt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 May 2011 13:59, Rob Styles <rob.styles at dynamicorange.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to grab two pieces from BBC News to archive, but don't seem
>> to be able to get it quite right. The first is an interview with
>> Michael Gove <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12018733> and the
>> second is an interview with Gareth Malone
>> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11312110>.
>
> Whoops accidentally replied off-list ...
>
> Try
>
> .get_iplayer --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12018733
>
> and add any mode options you want afterwards. You have to add the
> --url flag to download from embedded videos on a webpage with given
> url.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Rob Styles