"Can't use string ("b00fz2zv") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at ./get_iplayer line 1554" when downloading radio programme via PVR

Robin Wilson robin at rtwilson.com
Wed Mar 23 05:03:47 EDT 2011

On 23 Mar 2011, at 08:54, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:

>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. That seemed to work ok for a few days, until today when I got the error:
>>
>> Can't use string ("b00g2jnr") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 1554.
>>
>> Again, this seems to be referring to childrens TV, but interestingly, again, it seems to be the first programme in the list (that is, the program that comes top when all of the programs are sorted alphabetically). It definitely isn't the right PID that should be provided by the PVR search(es) that I have listed.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Robin
>
> Could you post the same full output as you did before, please. I'll probably ask for further information after that.
>
> Also, please post to the list's mailing address, not to me.
>
> aB.

Hi,

I would post the output of the full error that I had before, but I've managed to make it work now. The way I found to make it to work is to run get_iplayer --type=radio --flush before running get_iplayer --pvr. It now seems to be quite happy, and is going through all of the rest of my PVR list. I do have the output from the standard PVR command that failed (cron nicely emailed it to me):

....(huge amounts of progress bar stuff)....
Finished writing to temp file.
New tv programme: 'Agony & Ecstasy - A Year with English National Ballet: Episode 3', 'The final episode offers a raw and revealing insight into English National Ballet, one of the world's premier ballet companies, at the climax of one of its most demanding years. From injury and pain to success and elation, the series exposes the storm behind the calm of big ballet productions.  Wayne Eagling has a highly demanding job as the artistic director of English National Ballet, looking after the 64 dancers that produce eight ballets a year. He has also decided to put his neck on the line by creating his first full length ballet for the company - The Nutcracker. As the company's crucial and lucrative Christmas production, there is no room for error and Wayne must complete the two hour ballet on an extremely tight schedule.   The film follows the creative processes of a choreographer under pressure and a new production fighting against time. With an important audience of critics, don
ors and government officials expected on opening night, the show must be finished. But with rehearsals running late and severe snow disrupting the making of the sets, it seems the dancers, costume-makers and technical staff are all fighting for stage time right up until the curtain rises.'
_Anne_of_Green_Gables_name_tv_radio
INFO: Getting radio Index Feeds
Can't use string ("b00g2jnr") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 1554.

I'd guess that there is something slightly wrong with how it is trying to flush the radio cache before doing the PVR. It's interesting that the wrong PID that it always tries to use is the first PID alphabetically in the list of programmes.

Cheers,

Robin