Fast(er) transcoding from aac to mp3.

Ian Stirling get_iplayer at mauve.plus.com
Fri Mar 18 12:22:36 EDT 2011

On 03/18/2011 03:50 PM, bat guano wrote:

>> A test I did of
>> time (ffmpeg -i You_and_Yours_-_16_03_2011_b00zf33w_default.aac -ab
>> 128k test.wav; lame test.wav test.mp3)
>>
>> finished in 4:35 - this is on a core duo at 1.8GHz.
>> So, 12* or so real-time.
>
> @ Ian
> Surely you're performing two processes there?
> First converting aac to wav...
> then converting wav to mp3.
>
> Would it not be better to use a pipe?

Indeed it would, I couldn't be bothered working out how to get ffmpeg to
write, and lame to read from a pipe, as I already knew the syntax to get
it to do files.
The time will change slightly, as the decoding and encoding canbe done
on different cores, but not much, as the decoding is so enormously faster.