Flashaudio no longer available for Radio 4?

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:26:03 EST 2011

> Please run:
> mplayer -ao null -vo null -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio_file_fixed.aac original_audio_file.aac
> and test the _fixed.acc file in your iPod.
>
> I have a high degree of confidence it'll work.
>
> aB.

Hi
The mPlayer method doesn't work with 2nd generation iPod shuffles.
This type here :- http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9927/shufflex.jpg
I've just tried.

Apple skimped on the software with these 2nd generation shuffles.
The only aac files that Apple will guarantee them to play
are ones created by iTunes.

I've also found that it will play m4a files created using neroAacEnc too.

It's possible to convert the BBC aac files to nero m4a files like this:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -f wav - | neroAacEnc -ignorelength -if - -of output.m4a

But it's pointless, may as well just convert to mp3 with ffmpeg like this:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k output.mp3

And to encode much quicker pipe to  GOGO-no-coda with ffmpeg like this:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -f wav - | gogo -b 128 -q 0 stdin output.mp3

GOGO-no-coda cuts the encode time to around a third.
For example, to convert a 2 hour show takes me approx 12 minutes using ffmpeg and libmp3lame.
With gogo it takes approx 4 minutes.