RE aac.splitter

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 07:20:49 EST 2011

> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend an aac splitter that firstly works, & secondly is
> fairly user friendly?
>
> I don't want to convert them, just cut them into smaller chunks.
>
> I came across this one, but haven't used it yet. I thought I'd ask for
> advice here first:
>
> http://www.008soft.com/aac-to-wav.htm
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave F.

Hi Dave F
Doesn't the software in your link split the aac then convert it to wav?

If you're comfortable using ffmpeg you can use the -t and -ss options to split aac files without re-encoding.
-t is duration
-ss is seek position
[hh:mm:ss]

This does a slick job, but no GUI.

For example, this command will give you the first 59 minutes:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -t 00:59:00 -acodec copy output1.aac

For example, this command will give everything after the first 59 minutes:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -ss 00:59:00 -acodec copy output2.aac

And you can combine them.
For example, this command will skip the first 30 minutes and provide the next 45 minutes:-
ffmpeg -i filename.aac -ss 00:30:00 -t 00:45:00 -acodec copy output3.aac