cannot fork

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 10:07:21 EST 2011

On 03/02/11 14:02, Ranec wrote:
> On 2 March 2011 12:25, Nigel Taylor <njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 03/02/11 11:45, Craig wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I checked the archives for mention of fork, but found only references
>>> to forking the project from its origins.
>>> Does anyone know why I get almost daily 'failed to fork' errors when
>>> using the web gui and pvr?
>>> -R
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Guess your running Linux/Unix
>
> Hi, err, no, 32bit Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1, i7 860 @ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM
>
> [snip]
>> Regards
>>
>> Nigel Taylor

Hi,

man perlfunc - fork function refers to the system fork function. Windows don't
have a proper fork function as such, that's why I thought Unix/Linux. The error
message is for the same reason exhausted resources stops the fork in strawberry
perl from working. A fork might be used to run rtmpdump from get_iplayer, if
rtmpdump doesn't finish, then resources would be slowly eaten up with each
get_iplayer scheduled.

Does the problem go away if the platform is rebooted?

SP1 - isn't that very recent for Windows 7. Might be you can't find this issue
before as recently introduced. Does the problem start same time SP1 was installed?

After SP1 - too many services maybe running now, just what has SP1 added,
running get_iplayer now clashes with Anti-Virus schedule, going to take longer
to run a scan after SP1 was installed.

Regards

Nigel Taylor