Ubuntu packages for get_iplayer and dependencies

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Tue Jun 7 16:51:44 EDT 2011

A number of things in get_iplayer have appeared recently which require
newer versions of tools than are available on Lucid, the long-term
support version of Ubuntu that my media system runs.  So I've put
together a ppa with more recent versions of
  get-iplayer
  ffmpeg
  atomic parsley
  x264
  rtmpdump

I did this primarily for my own benefit, but there are builds for
every version of Ubuntu from Lucid (10.04.2) onwards.  Some notes on
versions and packaging below.

You can find the ppa at
https://launchpad.net/~jon-hedgerows/+archive/get-iplayer
to add it, just add ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer to your system's
Software Sources.

On versions:
get-iplayer - this is currently taken from the tip of dinkypumpkin's
repository on github (because I use the tagging stuff).  It's got a
tweaked ubuntu packaging to set up default options to force
installation of and make use of the other packages in the ppa.
ffmpeg - this is built as ffmpeg-static, and is a statically linked
version of ffmpeg and ffprobe called ffmpeg-static and ffprobe-static.
 I did this so that I could leave the ffmpeg packages untouched so as
not to break anything else.  this is a recent build from ffmpeg (not
from libav).  It coexists with ffmpeg and libav*.
atomic parsley - this is from the tip of wez's atomicparsley
repository on bitbucket, and includes support for some of the extra
stuff that's used by dinkupumpkin's tagging updates.
x264 - this is in the repository, and is a few commits later than
0.115.1947.  This is mainly there because it's an ffmpeg dependency.
the x264 libs co-exist with the .85 version that ships with Lucid.
rtmpdump - this is r569 from subversion

All of this is compiled (and loosely tested) on lucid, maverick and
natty, both 32 and 64 bit versions of all three.

Let me know if this works for you, or if you have any suggestions to
improve this.

Cheers
Jon