HD playback issue on PS3

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 13:44:32 EST 2011

On 15/1/2011, at 5:19pm, Shevek wrote:
> On 15 January 2011 16:40, spam.mc <spam.mc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If anyone has any suggestions for things that I could try out to determine
>> what the problem is, I'd like to hear them.
>
> This question is Off Topic for this list.

Maybe.

I'd rather establish for sure that no bug in get_iplayer is causing this problem before dismissing the matter.

Also, this is a lot more interesting than a lot of the stuff we've been dealing with recently.

> get_iplayer downloads whatever video is available on iPlayer and then
> passes that to ffmpeg to remux from an FLV container[1] to an MP4
> container.
>
> *The video stream itself is not changed in any way.*

Unless, y'know, this is caused by a remuxing bug in ffmpeg.

I think some of us have seen one of those before, haven't we?    ;)

> Your problem is in fact that the video on the BBC iPlayer is not PS3 compatible.

It never has been before.

In fact, the PS3 has a built in iPlayer client. That could, of course, be using a different video stream / source at the BBC. But it's worth checking.

aB.