HD playback issue on PS3

Homer get_iplayer at slated.org
Sat Jan 15 12:32:08 EST 2011

spam.mc wrote:

> Hi,  I have exactly the same problem and have been having for many
> months.  For me it's much worse, it happens for every video file  that
> get_iplayer downloads,  when playing them back on the PS3 via a media
> streaming server the video plays at approx 2x and I get no sound or
> static.   I have worked round this problem by using
> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ which has an option to
> transcode the file using MEncoder which it does on the fly as it
> streams the video to the PS3, it then plays fine.

Yes, I've got that here. I just wasn't sure if it preserved HD content,
or transcoded it back down to SD. I suppose there's only one way to find
out, and that's try it, but it's a long job for a 1GB HD video.  Either
way, I'll lose some quality, which is a pain. What's the point of a HD
capable media player that doesn't play HD media?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a PS3 ffpreset for ffmpeg, or
hints about PS3 compatible settings?

> The disadvantage of this is that it's slow to start playing and you
> can't fast forward or rewind the video.

That's a limitation of Sony's DLNA client, not the media or the server.

You can copy the file first (green arrow -> "copy"), instead of
streaming it. It takes a while, but at least you can seek back and forth
afterwards.

--
Homer