get_iplayer Problem under Vector Linux

Martin Sawers martinsawers at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 9 09:22:25 EST 2011

Hi

Newbie having trouble getting get_iplayer to work under Vector Linux
(www.vectorlinux.com).

I've used the instructions on this site
(http://justbloodywork.blogspot.com/search/label/get_iplayer) and
adapted them for VL, rather than Ubuntu, with all the steps outlined
completing OK.

However, when I issue the command [b]perl get_iplayer[/b], I get this
output:

>get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
>  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
>  conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
>WARNING: Running the updater again to obtain plugins.
>INFO: Current version is 2.78
>INFO: Checking for latest version from www.infradead.org
>ERROR: Failed to connect to update site - Update aborted

If I manually enter http://www.infradead.org into Firefox, I get:

"No Comment

If you're looking for the Linux-MTD pages, try here.

There's a page with some useful information for anyone who may be
interested in offering me employment"

Why won't get_iplayer connect to a current site when looking for what it
wants?
--
  Martin Sawers
  martinsawers at fastmail.fm