Using flvstreamer with get_iplayer

get_iplayer at cjnash.com get_iplayer at cjnash.com
Fri Feb 25 19:32:33 EST 2011

I'm using get_iplayer for live streaming of radio and I've found that
this works better for me with flvstreamer than it does with rtmpdump.

The difference is that rtmpdump has a hard-wired 64k buffer and it
always fills this buffer completely before writing it to stdout.  For a
96kbps stream, the buffer contains over 5 seconds of audio, so the
player is always at least 5 seconds behind the stream.  This also means
that there's a gap of 5 seconds until rtmpdump writes the next batch of
audio, which causes me some problems with ensuring a smooth downstream
flow of audio with no dropouts.

With flvstreamer, the data is transmitted in 4k chunks which works much
better with a smaller delay and a smoother flow of audio down the chain.

I've seen a few comments here about problems with using flvstreamer
instead of rtmpdump, though I haven't noticed any problems myself.
Specifically, I haven't seen flvstreamer restarting the stream because
of its lack of swfVfy support.  I've tried running for an hour or so
with --verbose as I thought this might produce a message when the
restart occurs.  How would I know whether these restarts are happening?

   Simon