I have a friend ..

fs ck fsckemail at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:38:46 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Christian Hewitt
<get_iplayer at chrishewitt.net> wrote:
> get_iplayer proxy=http://[username:password@]<server>:<port> --partial-proxy
>
> The description for --partial-proxy in --long-help is "Only uses web proxy where absolutely required (try this extra option if your proxy fails)" ..meaning only the http requests to locate the stream URL are proxied. Once the URL has been found you connect directly to the stream on port 1935.

Note that this partial proxy support was only really applicable to
non-flash streams. rtmpdump doesnt use any of the getiplayer proxy
settings. The tsocks wrapper (or equivalent) solution is the only way
to make rtmpdump use a proxy. VPN is easier. I've used the ssh -D and
tsocks solution and it works well in my experience. I didn't find a
windows equivalent that worked well.