Get Iplayer for Windows

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Aug 14 13:03:02 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 17:41 +0100, Jon Davies wrote:
> (I don't see why perl isn't just another
> component, I can't see a good reason for it being included in the
> installer, given that pretty much nothing else is.)

I looked at that. The subset of Strawberry Perl used for get_iplayer is
about a tenth the size of the full (even the minimal) installation.
That's the reason I didn't switch over to doing it that way.

> I have a objection in principle to install/update functionality that
> depends on the server behaving in a particular way because it ties you
> to servers that can be specifically configured, which rules out many
> hosting services - so using server-side redirects somewhat irks me.

I'm not sure that's a consideration. We're pointing it at our *own*
service which *is* under our control. I can even put the get_iplayer.cgi
script from http://www.infradead.org/cgi-bin/get_iplayer.cgi into the
git repository.

--
dwmw2