Get Iplayer for Windows

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:49:52 EDT 2011

On 13/08/2011 13:22, Jon Davies wrote:
> I started to look at building a fresh install package for Windows, and
> started down the road of building the dependencies for windows first,
> hence the new build of AtomicParsley.

Thanks again for that AP build.  If definitely plugs a gap.  MP3 tagging
can be done well enough in Perl, but none of the MP4 Perl solutions
proved to be reliable enough, and Sourceforge downloads are problematic
for the installer.

> The thing I was scratching my head about and wondering how best to
> solve was the eternal problem of updating things for windows.  For
> Ubuntu, it's easy - I just maintain a package archive and it just
> works.  for windows I contemplated building something separate to do
> the updates, but then I changed jobs and started to work for a living
> and ran out of time.

This touches on a thorny question vis-a-vis a get_iplayer Windows
installer: should it be dynamic and net-based, or standalone?  As I've
mentioned elsewhere on this thread, there already is infrastructure at
infradead.org for servicing updates of get_iplayer, its dependencies,
and the Windows installer.  The current installer doesn't make full use
of it, but I think I've managed to fix most of that.

The alternative is to make a get_iplayer installer more like a desktop
application installer and bundle all the dependencies, scripts, etc. in
the installer package.  This is more like Sparkle on OSX and similar
systems.  The notion has some appeal because it gives more control over
the installation.  OTOH, it probably means you have build more versions
of the installer, so somebody would need to own the process and the
update mechanism.

> I'm happy to help maintain the windows version (though I don't use
> get_iplayer on windows either), but can't commit a great deal of time
> to it.  It might be better if I commit to maintain windows builds of
> AtomicParsley (not that it's very hard...).  Platforms I *am*
> interested in maintaining are ubuntu and the d-link dns-323 NAS.

If you want to take it over (and are planning to stick with NSIS), I'm
happy to hand off my scripts to you.  I'm still willing to get the next
version out, but if you're stepping up it might be best to take over
sooner rather than later.  FWIW, I think I've automated the Windows
build process reasonably well.  As for the installer itself, aside from
a bunch of code cleanup, the main change I've made is to make it more
adaptable in dealing with downloaded archives for the various
dependencies, so changing to a different source for ffmpeg, say, that
uses a different archive layout or packages 32- and 64-bit builds
together, won't break the installer.  I've also implemented support for
creating standalone installers (with all dependencies bundled in),
should that seem like the way to go.  You hinted that were thinking of
making your own builds of dependencies, so that feature might prove
helpful if you decided to bundle everything together.  Anyway, I should
be able to get my code up on Github sometime later this week, so you can
judge for yourself.