Broken list threads

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Apr 2 10:05:10 EDT 2011

On Thu Mar 31 2011 21:53:51 BST , Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk wrote:

>Anyone have any idea why emails from a couple of people [Richard
>(richard at richsim900.plus.com) and Vangelis (northmedia1 at
>the.forthnet.gr)] break the threading?

Hi, as far as I'm concerned, I must be doing something wrong (not
intentionally), because I'm not at all familiar with mailing lists...:-(

I am basically reading the mailing list from the archive (it comes in two
incarnations, i.e.
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2011-April/date.html &
http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/maillist.html),
I have both formats arranged by "date")
to learn my way around get_iplayer, to which I had to migrate ever since the
Beeb altered the iPhone streams in mid-December and incapacited the 2
programs
I was using (iDownload & Paul Batley's ipdl - via a UK VPN) to save Radio
content from the BBC...

When I changed the list format to "arranged by thread" I became aware of
what Shevek is talking about...
I am using Windows Mail, which is the native e-mail client of my OS
(WinVista SP2 x86), when I send an e-mail to get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
my mail starts a new thread...
What am I exactly to do to reply within an existing thread? I have not
properly subscribed to the list, would this mean that my inbox be filling
everyday with whatever
the members of the list send? For various practical reasons (that I don't
want to go into for now...), this is something I could do without...

For this specific mail, I selected the e-mail & thread Shevek started from
within the archive (version 1) & clicked on the e-mail address on top,
underneath the subject...
the outcome of which I shall see after I hit "Send"...

Apologies for any disruption I may have created, I humbly beg for
leniency...