downloading video clips from the bbc news website

Simon Stoakley sausageandeggs at archlinux.us
Sat Oct 23 02:18:42 EDT 2010

On 22/10/10 01:06, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2010, at 20:07, fs ck wrote:
>
>> I just tried the following command on the latest get_iplayer and it
>> downloaded the video perfectly:
>>
>> get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
>
> Doesn't work for me. I thought this was due to lack of the XML::Simple
> perl module (which has given me problems in the past) but I installed
> that and it still doesn't work.
>
> Could you possibly give full output so I can try to emulate your
> results, please?
>
> I get:
>
> $ get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
> get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis This program comes
> with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
> conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> INFO: Checking existence of default version
> INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh) available for
> this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
> ERROR: Failed to record ' - (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501)'
> $ get_iplayer --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
> --modes=phone,flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal,flashlow,n95_wifi,flashaac,flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaaclow,flashaudio,realaudio,wma
>
> get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
> This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
> conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> INFO: Checking existence of default version
> INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh) available for
> this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
> ERROR: Failed to record ' - (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501)'
> $
>

> aB.

I've just managed to emulate this as well, heres CLI output.

  [sas at simon ../share/icons/hydroxygen]$ get_iplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5561.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5585.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5586.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5607.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5608.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5612.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5613.
Using a hash as a reference is deprecated at /usr/bin/get_iplayer line 5614.
get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
--warranty.
   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
   conditions; use --conditions for details.

INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashhigh1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashhigh1 mode to record tv:  -
INFO: File name prefix =
London_bombings_-_First_urgent_emergency_services_calls_http_www.bbc.co.uk_news_uk-11518501_default

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   duration              69.20
INFO:   moovPosition          6903861.00
INFO:   width                 640.00
INFO:   height                360.00
INFO:   videocodecid          avc1
INFO:   audiocodecid          mp4a
INFO:   avcprofile            77.00
INFO:   avclevel              30.00
INFO:   aacaot                2.00
INFO:   videoframerate        25.00
INFO:   audiosamplerate       44100.00
INFO:   audiochannels         1.00
INFO: trackinfo:
INFO:   length                1730000.00
INFO:   timescale             25000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            avc1
INFO:   length                3051520.00
INFO:   timescale             44100.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            mp4a
6825.900 kB / 69.17 sec (99.9%)
Download complete
FFmpeg version SVN-r25472, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
   built on On......
	~~Cut~~
  [sas at simon]$ perl -v

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 1 (v5.12.1) built for
x86_64-linux-thread-multi

And all XML stuff installed..

  [sas at simon]$ ppq xml
local/expat 2.0.1-5 [0.61 MB]
     An XML Parser library written in C
local/lib32-expat 2.0.1-7 [0.39 MB]
     An XML Parser library written in C (32 bit)
local/libxml2 2.7.7-2 [11.55 MB]
     XML parsing library, version 2
local/libxslt 1.1.26-2 [3.21 MB]
     XML stylesheet transformation library
local/perl-xml-parser 2.36-7 [0.59 MB]
     Expat-based XML parser module for perl
local/perl-xml-simple 2.18-3 [0.16 MB]
     Simple XML parser for perl
local/perl-xml-twig 3.34-2 [0.61 MB]
     A module for easy processing of XML
local/python-lxml 2.2.8-2 [2.09 MB]
     Python binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries
local/pyxml 0.8.4-7 [5.85 MB]
     Python XML parsing library.
local/raptor 1.4.21-1 [1.98 MB]
     A C library that parses RDF/XML/N-Triples into RDF triples
local/xcb-proto 1.6-2 [0.54 MB]
     XML-XCB protocol descriptions

--
  _
( ) ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail