getting get_iplayer to work

Christian Hewitt get_iplayer at chrishewitt.net
Mon Oct 11 03:20:07 EDT 2010

get_iplayer supports using a proxy which is much more efficient. To sidestep IP geolocation you only need to run the initial http requests that resolve the stream URL through the proxy. Once get_iplayer has the download URL it connects directly to the Akamai or Limelight content delivery networks (CDNs) that the BBC hosts content with to stream the programme. If you're using a VPN service *all* the traffic has to go down the tunnel and you're bound by the bandwidth of the VPN provider which is impacted by the number of other concurrent users and a mass of other network related variables - in almost all cases it will be slower. I'm often outside the UK with work and running get_iplayer through a private VPN i'm bound to the ~65KB/sec uplink speed of the ADSL connection the VPN server is hosted on, but using a proxy I often see a ~2.2MB/sec speed consistent with the 24MB connection at one of my regular destinations. Speed also varies somewhat depending on which CDN is being used for each individual stream, and will be affected by other local (and CDN side) internet congestion.

Christian