Using bootspec with RAUC and redundant partitions

robin robin at protonic.nl
Tue Sep 29 09:02:15 EDT 2020

Hi All,

Can anyone help me determine where to place the bootspec data in a
system
with redundant partitions for kernel and rootfs?

We're migrating from scripts in env/boot for 'system0' and 'system1', to
bootspec. We're using bootchooser combined with the state framework to
determine
which target needs to be booted.

Our partition table (relevant partitions):
  mmc2.0: kernel.0
  mmc2.1: kernel.1
  mmc2.4: rootfs.0
  mmc2.5: rootfs.1

Looking into the bootspec, we could add an additional 'boot' partition
but this
breaks redundancy, and feels trivial since we have the kernel
partitions.

But adding the loader/entries to the kernel partitions probably requires
us to
generate them runtime (Rauc post-install?). Since Rauc determines which
kernel
partition will be written with the contents of 'kernel' image in a
bundle the
bootspec can't be determined at build time.

Is there a door number 3 or am I missing something here?

Best regards,
Robin van der Gracht