MIPS parallel build breakage

Antony Pavlov antonynpavlov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 04:17:35 PST 2018

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 12:07:29 +0100
Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> Hi Sam and Antony,
>
> (Antony because you introduced this and Sam because you have intimate
> knowledge with our build system ;)
>
> I am trying to solve a problem that annoys me for some years now. The
> problem is that the MIPS defconfigs regularly fail in my autobuilder.
> I usually help myself with trying it again and most of the time it
> then works, but doing this for years increases the pressure to do
> something.
>
> What happens is that the MIPS builds use include/generated/compile.h:
>
> > arch/mips/include/asm/pbl_macros.h:28:#include <generated/compile.h>
>
> This often ends in:
>
> > In file included from arch/mips/boot/start.S:20:0: arch/mips/include/asm/pbl_macros.h:28:31:
> > fatal error: generated/compile.h: No such file or directory
> > compilation terminated.
>
> include/generated/compile.h is generated in common/Makefile:
>
> > include/generated/compile.h: FORCE
> > 	@$($(quiet)chk_compile.h)
> > 	$(Q)$(CONFIG_SHELL) $(srctree)/scripts/mkcompile_h $@ \
> > 	"$(UTS_MACHINE)" "$(CC) $(KBUILD_CFLAGS)"
>
> Other users of this file add an explicit dependency on it:
>
> > # dependencies on generated files need to be listed explicitly
> > $(obj)/version.o: include/generated/compile.h
>
> This only seems to work though when the dependent file is in the same
> directory, but not when the file is in arch/mips/boot/.
>
> I tried doing the include/generated/compile.h in Makefile instead of
> common/Makefile, but then the version counting gets confused and causes
> unnecessary rebuilds.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?

I can't reproduce parallel build breakage. But I see another problem:
the version string inside mips pbl binary is differ from the version string
inside main barebox binary.

I suppose that the problem is that current build system handles mips asm files
(which are actually use generated compile.h) and c-files in a different way.

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov