autotools for barebox host/target tools?

Sam Ravnborg sam at ravnborg.org
Thu Feb 22 10:00:26 PST 2018

Hi Sasha.

> I was just thinking, the kernel build system is great for compiling
> barebox itself, but for compiling the userspace host and target tools
> autotools would be a better match as they much better allow to specify
> the necessary compilers and to pull the necessary dependencies in.

What specific problems are you trying to solve that is
not solved today by the support in scripts/Makefile.host?

I notice you want to build tools for the target as well.
This should be relatively easy to add support for that using
the current kbuild syntax.

I we are going for something more standard then cmake or meson
are more modern choices than the dreadful autotools stuff.
And with modern I also imply better / simpler.

> Any opinions or even volunteers?

Any specific program you have in mind?

	Sam