re-generate the builtin environment

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Sun Feb 18 22:27:25 PST 2018

Hi Giorgio,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:09:00AM +0100, Giorgio Dal Molin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to build a default environment in the barebox for my
> board.
>

> For this I defined the following vars in the .config file:

> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION_LZ4=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC_NEW=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC_NEW_DFU=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_PATH="arch/arm/boards/am335x-evm/defaultenv-am335x_evm"
>
> What I observe is that the first time I build barebox the default env is also built;
> but after that, if I modify something under CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_PATH and
> just rebuild the barebox dir. without a 'make clean' then the changes are missed.
>
> It this correct or do I do something wrong.
>
> The second question is: I noticed that in the board Makefile:
>
>  arch/arm/boards/am335x-evm/Makefile
>
> one can add the definition:
>
> bbenv-y += defaultenv-am335x_evm

Try this one instead. Traditionally there has only been
CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_PATH. bbenv-y is for compiling different
separate environment snippets into the binary and to activate them
later in the code. Adding bbenv-y like above doesn't change anything,
the snippet needs to be loaded using:

defaultenv_append_directory(defaultenv_am335x_evm);

This is used for compiling barebox for multiple boards and decide during
runtime which board specific env should be used.