how to persistently save config values

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Sep 29 04:35:43 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 10:25:03AM +0200, Giorgio Dal Molin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a new project with an embedded system based on
> a standard intel PC.
>
> I already have a barebox.efi running on the system; my problem is now
> how to permanently save some variables so that, on restart, they can be
> automatically restored by my '/env/bin/init' script.
> The variables I mean are for example 'eth0.ipaddr' or 'eth0.serveraddr'.
> A solution I used in the past was a custom 'env_dump' command that generated
> a config text file like:
>
> eth0.ipaddr=10.0.0.15
> eth0.serveraddr=10.0.0.1

(should be eth0.serverip)

> Then I saved the file with 'saveenv' and restored it back with 'loadenv'.

Normally you should edit /env/network/eth0 to change the network config.

Also there is the possibility to create a nv variable that automatically
mirrors to the device variable. In this case it would be
nv.dev.eth0.ipaddr and nv.dev.eth0.serverip. This doesn't work with dhcp
though.