Kernel device tree gets modified with bootm command when CONFIG_OFDEVICE is enabled

gianluca gianlucarenzi at eurekelettronica.it
Fri Oct 6 04:04:36 PDT 2017

On 10/06/2017 12:28 PM, Marcel Hamer wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>
>> There is a magic variable setting to leave the partition entries alone:
>>
>>   global.of_partition_binding="donttouch"
>>
>> (Other meaningful values for this variable are "new" and "legacy",
>> which controls whether the individual partitions are placed within a
>> "partitions" node ("new") or not ("legacy").)
>>

> Thank you for pointing that option out, I will certainly have a look at
> that.
>
> I took the partitioning as an example, because it gave me the biggest
> burden. But I guess in general I think the principle of fixing up the
> kernel device tree should be optional to my opinion.

IMHO you Marcel, are missing the point.

Do not changing device tree and passing it as-is to the kernel has the
reason on systems non upgradable, non changeable during their life-time.
i.e. routers and or smartphones.

Usually they are provided with all stuff attached and normally everyting
is working out-of-the-box.

To my experience, we have a bunch of boards, and they are different each
other by little stuff, such as number of uarts, gpios, screens/lcd,
memory and storage size.

I am letting BareBox to adapt a "generic-all-inclusive" device-tree with
the correct "device-tree" to the kernel, so it can be used without
hassle having and managing a single device-tree in our develpement studio.

It is simpler to have a single device-tree which can be used over a
plethora of boards based on the same root-hardware, than having a
plethora of device-trees perfectly adapted with your plethora of devices.

Do you agree?

Regards,
Gianluca
--