Fwd: Micrel KSZ9031RN PHY problem

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 07:49:47 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I am playing with barebox on an Atmel SAMA5D3 Xplained board. It is
now working fine for the most part, however after updating to the
latest sources from git I found a problem that I had not seen before.

This board has two Ethernet interfaces; eth0 uses a Micrel KSZ9031RN
PHY, and eth1 uses a Micrel KSZ8081RNB PHY.

It seems that after release 2016.03.0, eth0 does not work anymore with
some routers. Specifically I found this problem with a Comtrend
VG-8050. I have tested other routers and the problem was not present
there.

After some research it seems that the problem is caused by this
commit: http://git.pengutronix.de/?p=barebox.git;a=commit;h=da89ee8f2e04e116410632a185024f58b8262d87

Before this commit eth0 was working fine. After this commit, the link
cannot established anymore:

[...]
barebox:/# ping 192.168.0.128
ping failed: Network is down

Before diving further into this I thought it could be a good idea to
ask, in case someone can shed some light here.

Any feedback is welcome.

Best,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com