support of arm64 architecture

Lucas Stach dev at lynxeye.de
Fri Apr 8 14:05:06 PDT 2016

Am Freitag, den 08.04.2016, 14:01 +0200 schrieb Raphaël Poggi:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on porting barebox on arm64 architecture.
>
> So I have some questions about it:
>
> - Is there any interest for barebox to support this architecture ?

Now that I have an actually interesting ARMv8 system myself I would
like to see some architecture support land in barebox.

> - My port is running at EL1 for the moment, does the bootloader have
> to run at EL3 ? If yes, do you have hint to achieve this ?

Depending on your system setup both is a valid thing. If you have a
full blown firmware hypervisor below barebox EL1 is okay.

Though normally barebox is the system firmware itself, in which case it
must be able to run at EL3 to provide all system services including
duties of the secure monitor. If there is only a secure monitor below,
barebox may be started in EL2.

Regards,
Lucas