memtest updates

Alexander Aring alex.aring at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:35:27 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 06:27:42PM +0100, Alexander Aring wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 05:54:59PM +0100, Alexander Aring wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:29:53AM +0100, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > > This series has some updates for the memory test. The output and the
> > > code are made more compact and some additional options are added. Also
> > > the remap_range function is reworked.

> > What means 0xdeadbeef here?
>
> okay, I it's guess the pattern argument which doesn't exist anymore.
>
> I run memtest now with:
>
> memtest -t -u
>
> on the RPi and it seems the first progressbar range of "0/3" - "1/3" runs
> faster than the last range of "1/3" - "3/3".
>
> This sounds like that remap_range does not full manipulate the range
> of page tables (the range at the start address). Okay we can't full use
> the range, because we need to be PAGE_ALIGN, but the whole first range of
> "0/3" - "1/3" sounds not correct for me (it's bigger than PAGE_ALIGN).
>
> Maybe everything is correct and the first address room is always a
> little bit faster than the others, but I don't think that.
>
> I haven't tried to debug this issue. Can somebody confirm that on an
> other arm board?

okay, false alarm. It's confusing me, we do not always the same
operation in each progressbar step.

We doing in the first part filling some pattern, in second/third part we
doing filling pattern and compare. This is why it takes longer. It just
looks like some area is still cached and the other uncached.

- Alex