saveenv & erase with bad blocks present

Boulais, Marc-Andre maboulais at rheinmetall.ca
Mon Feb 9 05:37:26 PST 2015

Hi Sascha,
I start the patched/fixed version in second stage. My PCM049 board is programmed with Phytec's BSP Barebox 2013.06.0. Upon entering its prompt, I start v 15.02.0 with your patches using tftp and bootm commands.

The "wrong crc on env superblock" message appears after I execute v15.02.0 with the bootm comand. It does not appear in the resident Barebox startup.

Note: The first time I tried your patches, I had this error message:
nand_erase_nand: attempt to erase a bad block at page [...]

Since we were considering potential problems in the nand driver to cause a "false" bad block, I commented out the bad block check in function nand_erase_nand() (nand/nand_base.c):
 	instr->state = MTD_ERASING;

	while (len) {
#if 0
		/* Check if we have a bad block, we do not erase bad blocks! */
		if (!mtd->allow_erasebad &&
				nand_block_checkbad(mtd, ((loff_t) page) <<
					chip->page_shift, 0, allowbbt)) {
			pr_warn("%s: attempt to erase a bad block at page 0x%08x\n",
				    __func__, page);
			instr->state = MTD_ERASE_FAILED;
			goto erase_exit;
		}
#endif

And then the erase operation appeared to have succeeded. After doing a reset and reloading Barebox v15.02.0, if I modify the environment and then execute "saveenv", my changes do not appear to ve saved if I do another reset...I am starting to think there was indeed a bad block in the bareboxenv NAND partition...I am checking with Phytec now.

Marc-Andre