Can i access the barebox env from linux

Michel Stam michel at reverze.net
Wed Mar 26 08:14:39 EDT 2014

Hey Alex,

The current version? That is a library, quite ugly actually.
LD_PRELOAD=/lib/LIBRARY /command/to/execute

The preload overrides the libc calls to open/read/write files.
The command can then access the environment sector, read only. If the
environment contains a /bin/init, then the file will be available from
/bin/init if the library is preloaded. Memory footprint is around
10kbyte RAM, or something like that. Its probably only usable for root,
as it requires read access to the block device, something you wouldn't
want to give all users.

As a kernel module I would make it a proper filesystem so you can do
something like mount /dev/blockdev /path -t bbfs.
That kernel driver will probably be a long-term project, though.

Cheers,

Michel