[RFC v3 4/5] commands: add hwclock

Antony Pavlov antonynpavlov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:55:22 PDT 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 21:02:22 +0200
Holger Schurig <holgerschurig at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd prefer a more logical format (and that is also in the help).
> However, in this case I wouldn't name the command "hwclock", but maybe
> "setclock".

hwclock allows to use a logical format!

e.g. here is a quote from hwclock manpage:

     --date=date_string
              You  need this option if you specify the --set or --predict functions, otherwise
              it is ignored.  It specifies the time to which to set the Hardware Clock, or the
              time  for which to predict the Hardware Clock reading.  The value of this option
              is an argument to the date(1) program.  For example:

                  hwclock --set --date="2011-08-14 16:45:05"

The problem is that date(1) program allows to use TOO MANY formats (both logical and illogical).
We have to select only one format!

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov