Porting barebox (devicetree) to Variscite iMX6 SOM

Michael Burkey mdburkey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:59:33 EST 2014

Sascha,

Since I am still having issues with the kernel booting -- and needed a
bit of a break to clear my mind -- I decided to delve into the initial
barebox bootup from NAND a bit more.

Correct me if I am wrong, but how I understand things right now...

The iMX6 requires a BCB header prior to the actual barebox partition
(e.g. nand0.bootstream). This bootstream partition would contain the
BCB data specific to the iMX6 (i.e. an FCB and at least a partial
DBBT).

It also looks like this functionality is already present in barebox
for the MX23/28 series of parts (i.e. the "bcb" command).

I also have the source for kobs-ng v1.3, which does properly generate
the BCB for the MX6 series (and is what I am currently using to flash
barebox into NAND).

So, basically, it sounds like what I need to do is migrate the bcb.c
file from the arm/mach-mxs folder into the MX6 portion of the tree and
then update it based on the datasheet and the "known good" parameters
from kobs-ng v1.3 (which look fairly similar to the definitions you
already have in place for the MX23/28 FCB).

Does this sound like a reasonable plan of action?

It really looks like life with the iMX6 would be much easier if I had
a SPI-NOR on this SOM, instead of NAND only.

Thanks,
Michael Burkey