Beaglebone white: Kernel doesn't start with barebox-2014.03.0

Rolf Evers-Fischer embedded24 at evers-fischer.de
Tue Apr 15 04:28:02 PDT 2014

Dear all,
after update to barebox-2014.03.0, the kernel on my beaglebone-white doesn't
start anymore.
The last line, which appears, is "booting kernel with devicetree".
I discovered that the problem is caused by the commit [1]. When I revert this
commit, everything works fine.

Here is some more info, which I gathered with additional printfs:
Without this commit, the '__do_bootm_linux()' function is called with
 data->initrd_address = 0xffffffff
 data->os_res->start = 0x80008000
 data->os_entry = 0
 swap = 0
Finally it invokes the 'start_linux()' function with
 kernel = 0x80008000
 swap = 0
 initrd_start = 0x80808000
 initrd_size = 0
 data->oftree = 0x8b1e0000

With this commit (i.e. when the kernel doesn't start), the '__do_bootm_linux()'
function is called with the same parameters as above plus
 free_mem = 0x8041f000
It invokes the 'start_linux()' function with
 kernel = 0x80008000
 swap = 0
 initrd_start = 0x8041f000
 initrd_size = 0
 data->oftree = 0x8041f000

Do you have any idea, how to fix this problem? For now I will continue using
barebox-2014.03.0 without the problematic commit.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/u-boot-v2/msg17345.html
    "ARM: bootm: pass free memory to __do_bootm_linux"

Best regards,
 Rolf