RFC: barebox-x86 as a coreboot payload

Michel Stam michel at reverze.net
Thu Apr 10 04:30:32 PDT 2014

Hello Sascha,
> I think there is interest in EFI support. It's a good thing to implement
> a standard boot concept. It could be used on ARM aswell.
> The really bad thing about EFI is that it requires runtime services to
> access the EFI variables from the kernel. For this the kernel calls back
> into bootloader code. This concept stinks. The kernel should access the
> variables natively (With some data structure kernel and bootloader agree
> about). I recently heard someone going into that direction, just can't
> remember who it was.
I took a small look at it, apparently there's attempts at a gcc
toolchain necessary for compiling this. And yes it has its own
development environment.

http://wiki.osdev.org/UEFI
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnu-efi/

I might get to that some day, its not on my immediate list as yet.

> I don't know either. Do you want to do framebuffer console support
> aswell? That might be difficult.
I was thinking using VESA VBE for this. Maybe looking at the linux
kernel code may help here, as VESA VBE seems to have graphical/text
modes, having a framebuffer driver on barebox/x86 would be nice.

This will be next after the keyboard driver.

Michel