Lowlevel questions

Mathieu Anquetin mathieu.anquetin at groupe-cahors.com
Tue Nov 19 06:01:37 EST 2013

On 19/11/2013 10:51, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25:27AM +0100, Mathieu Anquetin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently trying to port Barebox to a new ARM-based machine and I
>> am facing some questions concerning low level initialization (before
>> relocation to RAM). Reading the header files, I came across 3 functions
>> that may be of interest during startup but I can't find an example of
>> them being called, they are :
>>     - board_init
>>     - dram_init
>>     - board_init_lowlevel
> Ok, let's take this opportunity to write it up:
>
> Generally we have two different startup mechanisms. The first, simpler
> version is without pbl image. Here the very first instruction executed
> is the function in the text_entry section:
>
> ./arch/arm/cpu/start.c:125:void __naked __section(.text_entry) start(void)
>
> This calls barebox_arm_head() which is a static inline assembly
> function. This function builds an ARM reset vector table. It also
> switches the CPU to Thumb2 mode if necessary. The next step is to jump
> to barebox_arm_reset_vector:
>
> ./arch/arm/include/asm/barebox-arm-head.h:58:           "b barebox_arm_reset_vector\n"
>
> barebox_arm_reset_vector is a board specific function you have to
> implement. Depending on your SoC and bootmode this function will run
> from internal SRAM, SDRAM or maybe NOR flash. Your job here is to
> initialize your SDRAM, see for example
> ./arch/arm/boards/eukrea_cpuimx35/lowlevel.c. At the end of this
> function jump to:
>
> void __noreturn barebox_arm_entry(uint32_t membase, uint32_t memsize, uint32_t boarddata);
>
> Pass this function the start of your SDRAM and the size. The third value
> is a value that will be preserved and can be retrieved later from board
> code. barebox_arm_entry is the common entry point for all ARM boards,
> This function will move the barebox binary to it's final address, clear
> the bss segment and jump to start_barebox() which is the common
> architecture independent entry point.
>
> /* ------------------------------------- */
>
> The above is the 'traditional' way. Next we have PBL
> (CONFIG_PBL_IMAGE=y) which was introduced for compressed images. Here
> two binaries are created, one 'real' image which gets compressed and one
> uncompressor image (the PBL).  For board code it makes no difference.
> Boards still implement barebox_arm_reset_vector to setup their SDRAM and
> in the end jump to barebox_arm_entry(). The difference is that both the
> board code and barebox_arm_entry() end up in the decompressor image. The
> 'real' image does not contain any lowlevel code, instead it starts at:
>
> ./arch/arm/cpu/start.c:160:void __naked __section(.text_entry) start(uint32_t membase, uint32_t memsize, uint32_t boarddata)
>
> /* ------------------------------------- */
>
> Finally we have multiimage support (CONFIG_PBL_MULTI_IMAGES=y) which is
> a variant of the PBL. With multiimage support we have three binaries
> [...]
Very nice and detailed explanation of the boot process implementation !
Now I see more clearly which function is called and when during the
startup code. Concerning the three functions I mentioned, it makes it
clear for me that they are just prototypes that I can implement for
naming clarity and I should not worry of them being called elsewhere in
the code.
Then, just to make sure, before calling a new function from the
barebox_arm_reset_vector, do I have to call arm_setup_stack beforehand ?
Or is it just for functions that have a return value and/or arguments ?
(I never called functions where runtime and linking addresses differ...
C has given me bad habits ;) )

Thanks again for your answer,

--

*Mathieu ANQUETIN*

/Software Engineer
/

Logo CAHORS Mail

CRDE
ZI des Grands Camps
46090 MERCUES
Tél. : +33 (0)5 65 30 38 27
*www.groupe-cahors.com*

*GROUPE CAHORS soutient le pacte mondial.*