handling script/init errors

Marc Reilly marc at cpdesign.com.au
Tue Nov 12 01:07:35 EST 2013

Hi,

Rarely, one of the commands (related to hardware access) in our startup
scripts fails, and the unit startup ends up bailing to a console prompt.
(Which is only on debug port, so no appropriate user feedback)
This would end up appearing to the user that nothing has happened, and will
either run until batteries are drained (or removed) or a special reset
sequence is done.

Is there a way to set up an error handler in the scripts? Ideally, a command
or script that could be called if /bin/sh encounters an error.

I started looking through hush.c but soon thought it better to consult with
anyone who actually might know ... :)

It's not an urgent problem, as all the troublesome units so far present
themselves before they're shipped out, but now a more urgent (thankfully
simple) problem has emerged, so now is a good time to try fix it.

Note: we're using a version based of 2012.07

Cheers,
Marc