Raspberry Pi net boot using barebox.

Adam Furmanczuk afurmanczuk at knowtrek.com
Tue Jul 23 12:09:26 EDT 2013

Hello Dariusz,

> I find this thread while googling today:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.barebox/4051
>
> I downloaded barebox package from official site and some
> cross-compilers from github/raspberry I configured barebox for ARM
> architecture and turned on menuconfig. Then I type make and press
> enter - and I noticed some new files in barebox directory same as
> those from this thread:
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=25087&p=230000
>
> I formated sd card with fat32 and copy on it 3 files same way like
> man from this post
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.barebox/4051 I
> downloaded loader.bin file and start.elf file from history (setp.
> 2012) version of raspberry firmware from github.
>
> Then i booted PI - but nothing happens - there was only rainbow on
> the screen all time.
>
> What should i do?

I have used Raspberry Pi for my bachelor thesis. What I wondered is
that GPU is used for boot process: "Is there a GPU binary? Yes. The
GPU binary also contains the first stage bootloader." [1]

There is this boot programm Video Core (VC). Thats the one that
resides in /opt/vc . As far as I know, that tool is resonsible for
boot and I can guess I would say second stage. But it is very
difficult to use this tool and GPU sepcifications were not public [2].
Maybe you find other images than the offical one, that use barebox as
default [3]?

I have heard many stories about Raspberry Pi foundation being set up
by Broadcom to make their devices popular. I do not remember the
sources. No offense to the guys from raspberry pi foundation.
Working with the bcm2835.c file to implement an SPI user-space modul I
got a similar impression. On LinuxTag 2013 in Berlin this plattform
has been criticized for not conforming to open hardware standards.
(The eagle files were hard to find).

If you find a solution nevertheless, I would be very much interested
as well.

Greetings,

Adam

[1] http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs