issue patch in next net/eth: fix link handling

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Fri Sep 28 04:27:16 EDT 2012

On 09:50 Fri 28 Sep     , Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 04:28:21AM +0200, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > 	The patch is next
> > 	net/eth: fix link handling
> >
> > 	was NEVER send to the ML
> >
> > 	IIRC I was the author of the first version and this disapear
> >
> > 	Uwe and I just get this discussion on the kernel ML about patch update
> >

> I was basically pissed off because I got the strong feeling that I spent
> more time reviewing and testing the patch than you initially spent
> writing it in the first place. The second version still stored apples
> in edev->phydev->link and bananas in edev->carrier, but still did a
> edev->carrier = dev->link.
I did this on purpose as I do want to store the link and later export it via
env as I get a patch here for 2 wifi driver where I'll not use the phylib

so store the carrier is the correct way

we could use a net_carrier(xx) as in the kernel to update the field but I do
need the carrier to not be manage only for the phylib

my work on thiose wifi driver is not finished but on the way maybe next
release

> Sorry for not posting it on the ML, doing that now.
I was pissed off that this is based on my work and I lost the author of the
patch and no mention about my work

Best Regards,
J.