kconfig-frontends: a packaging of the kconfig language

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Tue Mar 20 18:17:31 EDT 2012

Hello All!

I am glad to announce the kconfig-frontends' first release ever!

kconfig-frontends-3.3.0-0 was released today, right after the corresponding
Linux kernel was released! Go download it there:

  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/download/kconfig-frontends/kconfig-frontends-3.3.0-0.tar.xz

The kconfig-frontends (temporary) home is at:

  http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/projects/kconfig-frontends

The kconfig-frontends project aims at centralising the effort of keeping an
up-to-date, out-of-tree, packaging of the kconfig infrastructure, ready for
use by third-party projects.

The kconfig-frontends package provides the kconfig parser, as well as all
the frontends, packaged using the traditional autotools, so the kconfig
infrastructure is easy to deploy, either locally or system-wide.

What you get with kconfig-frontends:
  - all five frontends: conf, mconf, nconf, gconf and qconf
  - a shared and/or static library and the headers for the parser, so any
    one can build their own frontend
  - the standard "./configure && make && make install" dance
  - an easy way to sync from a newer kernel
  - a bit of documentation

kconfig-frontends is not meant to replace the in-tree Linux kconfig (at
least in the foreseeable future!), but really targets third-party projects
that want an easy path to following the evolution of kconfig, without the
burden to manually synchronise occasionally.

The plans for the future are:
  - release with every Linux kernel dot-0 release
  - release with every Linux kernel dot-release if there are kconfig fixes
  - release to fix blocking issues with the packaging
  - find a proper home (mid-term)
  - migrate the repository to git (short-term)
  - improve the documentation!

Any comment, any feedback is welcome! ;-)

Note: kconfig-frontends is only about the kconfig language: the parser and
the frontends; it's not about kbuild, the Linux kernel build infrastructure.

I am sending this news to all projects I know of, that are using the kconfig
language, or a derivative, as their configuration infrastructure, in the
hope they find this news interesting. This is a one-off email, and no further
announcement will be sent to your projects mailing-lists unless you express
interest in future such announcements.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.