USB On PCM043?

Jerry Kirk jkirk865 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:37:47 EDT 2012

We have been attempting to get USB Host mode working under Barebox(2012-07-0) on
a PCM043 platform (i.mx35), but we are having a bit of trouble.

We have  merged the CONFIG_USB specific code for "imx35_devices_init" and
"imx35_usb_init" from the Eukrea platform into pcm043.c, added the
"MX35_PAD_I2C2_CLK__USB_TOP_USBH2_PWR" and "MX35_PAD_I2C2_DAT__USB_TOP_USBH2_OC"
pad definitions (as per the main kernel pcm043.c file), added the "tmp |= 0x3 <<
CCM_CGR2_USB_SHIFT" to enable the USB clock to "pcm043_core_setup", built
everything with the "usb" command enabled, and then loaded the new Barebox image
into our pcm043 board. We have USB_EHCI and USB_STORAGE enabled in the Barebox
config.

If I execute the "usb" command then it returns that it has found 1 EHCI
controller. If I plug in any device, the only one it has EVER detected has been
a USB mouse. It will be detected most of the time following a reset and after
unplugging/replugging the mouse -- but will never be detected again after this
unless I do a reset/replug operation (and never on a "usb -f" forced redetect).

Basically, our goal is to get USB flash drives working for use as a means of
upgrading our Linux kernel in the field -- but right now it won't even EVER
recognize a USB flash drive when it is plugged into the unit. We also know it is
not a hardware problem as all USB devices work just fine once the full kernel
finishes booting.

>From what we have read, it looks like the Eukrea platform had USB working in it,
and we have attempted to use it as a guide, but we still aren't having any luck.

Does anyone know of any steps we might be missing? Or of anyone who has gotten
USB host mode working on a pcm043 under Barebox before?

I think we are close, but something (obviously) still isn't right.