Booting linux on a custom iMX27 board

Igor igt1972 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 15:23:32 EST 2012

Hi,

I 'm trying to port Barebox (2012.01.0) and make it successfully booting
Linux
on a custom board based on iMX27.
I could successfully configure, compile and use Barebox on my MX27ADS board,
making it work both as a second stage bootloader (after Redboot)
and as the first stage bootloader (booting the system from flash).

I modified the sources to adapt the low level init functions to my HW
that has half the ram of the ev.board and a different flash
(a Spansion S29GLxxx, same size of the one in the eva board).
With my customized version of Barebox I can:
- boot Linux (zImage, 2.6.32.3) using Barebox as a second stage bootloader
(after Redboot)
- start from Flash as a first stage bootloader, correctly initializing the
system.

In the second case, indeed, the system seems to be fully working:
I can read and write the flash partitions, I can complete successfully
the ram test with "mtest", but... I cannot boot Linux!

I just get:
"uncompressing linux... done booting the kernel"
and then it's silence...

architecture_type is 846 (it's the one of the mx27ads).
It should be right  considering that I used both for the kernel and for the
bootloader
the configuration for imx27ads.

I also tryed to make it boot a more recent kernel version;
I compiled a 3.0.8 with early_printk anabled to get more info about
the initial crash/problem  but... Nothing!
I didn't get nothing after "... done booting the kernel" also with the 3.0.8
with low level debug and early_printk enabled.

What's the reason for the boot failure?
I'm desperately looking for new ideas and suggestions!

Thanks in advance for every possible hint,
Igor.

--
"Don't find fault, find a remedy."
(Henry Ford)