need some clarification on how environments work

Premi, Sanjeev premi at ti.com
Wed Feb 8 03:19:18 EST 2012

----Original Message-----

I have recently finished creating the default env for omap3evm; so
will be able to share my uderstanding. Hope to send the patches by
end of the day (atleast an RFC, if I am unable to boot linux) OR
may be earlier.

CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT appears to control whether "any" default
env should be included in the barebox. Haven't tried env from NAND
device (hopefully mounting as /dev/env0) so far, but I assume from
boot sequence that I observe that env from NAND will be used and
there is no fallback.

CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC leads to inclusion of a generic
"template" env into barebox - not really useful, but atleast you
have a template to work with and al the FIXMEs included there will
get you started.

If CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_PATH is used the "specific" path
you have specified, will now be used for the default env. And it
overrides the "generic" env path. So now you have a board specific
env.

In a boot log I sent yesterday, you will notice this:

Open /dev/env0 No such file or directory
no valid environment found on /dev/env0. Using default environment
running /env/bin/init...

(http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2012-February/005987.html)

I did plan to look at the origin of message "no valid environment found
on /dev/env0", but Linux not booting took the focus elsewhere.

~sanjeev