lots of inaccurate references to "FileName: include/asm-arm ..."

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Dec 4 14:30:59 EST 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, menon.nishanth at gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   while roaming around in the arm/omap files, i noticed that numerous
> > files have obsolete "FileName:" values, given that stuff that was once
> > in "include/asm-arm" has clearly moved, so you find header files like
> > arch/arm/mach-omap/include/mach/gpmc_nand.h that contain:
> >
> >  * FileName: include/asm-arm/arch-omap/gpmc_nand.h
> >  *
> >  * OMAP's General Purpose Memory Controller (GPMC) has a NAND controller
> >  * embedded. this file provides the platform data structure required to
> >  * hook on to it.
> >  *
> >  */
> > /*
> >  * (C) Copyright 2008
> >  * Texas Instruments, <www.ti.com>
> >  * Nishanth Menon <x0nishan at ti.com>
> >  *
> >  * Originally from Linux kernel:
> >  * http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/linux-ldp-v1.3.tar.gz
> >  * include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h
> >
> > so the later comment as to the *origin* of the file is fine, but the
> > earlier "FileName" value is obviously incorrect.  does that matter?
> > is that value used for any sort of documentation processing?
>
> At least when I created the original file in 2008, I think it was
> originally from
> http://linux.omap.com/pub/kernel/3430zoom/
> and the file there was include/asm-arm/arch-omap/nand.h
>
> > p.s.  you can see the number of these with a simple:
> >
> > $ grep -r "include/asm-arm" *
> >
> > since i'm working with a number of the ARM files, i'd be happy to
> > "fix" that stuff for some reasonable definition of "fix". :-)
> >
> if there is a cleanup, awesome.. that would be really be good.

  the obvious cleanup is to just delete all those "FileName" lines.
it *is* useful info to know where a file came from in the linux
kernel, i would definitely leave that in.  but (as was explained to me
recently) it's pointless to have a file contain its own alleged name,
especially if files can be moved.

  so unless those "FileName" lines have some value, i would just
remove all of them.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca