how does one enable barebox's low-level debugging?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Dec 4 07:10:08 EST 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:

> On 17:21 Mon 03 Dec     , Sascha Hauer wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 10:45:41AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > >   looking through common/startup.c and decided i wanted to see
> > > confirmation of all the initcalls running here:
> > >
> > >         for (initcall = __barebox_initcalls_start;
> > >                         initcall < __barebox_initcalls_end; initcall++) {
> > >                 debug("initcall-> %pS\n", *initcall);
> > >                 result = (*initcall)();
> > >                 if (result)
> > >                         pr_err("initcall %pS failed: %s\n", *initcall,
> > >                                         strerror(-result));
> > >         }
> > >

> > > so i started from scratch, ran "make menuconfig" for both the x-loader
> > > and barebox to enable "low level debug messages", but i don't see any
> > > difference in the boot output.
> > >
> > >   i've perused the barebox wiki and don't see anything regarding that
> > > setting.  am i doing something wrong?
> >
> > You have to add a "#define DEBUG" to the file you want to have the debug
> > messages from. Add this *above* the includes, just like in the kernel.
> >
> > Something not mentioned in the wiki is that before the first console is
> > initialized barebox will print the messages into a ring buffer which it
> > will dump when the first console is initialized.

> but also print on the debug console if enabled
> on the current barebox

  i thought that was true, i'll add it to my barebox debugging page.
i know i mentioned this before but i've started a series of barebox
pages on my wiki that i may incorporate into some embedded linux
classes in the near future.  in particular, i'm currently documenting
the set of initcalls invoked when booting my beagle xM:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Barebox_initcalls_for_the_xM

which is a really convenient way to examine exactly what happens when
the xM powers up.  i may now know what to do with pages just yet:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Barebox_pages

but i just want the info available in case the need arises.  all still
very much a work in progress.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca