Booting PhyTec PCM043/IMX35 from USB/SD-Card

Jan Lübbe jlu at pengutronix.de
Fri Aug 24 04:46:26 EDT 2012

Hi!

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:59 +0200, Peter wrote:
> I am able to boot the kernel from NOR flash and use the mmc as rootfs. However
> I did not yet find a way to boot the kernel from the MMC. I set up the MMC
> with 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 245 cylinders and formated partition 1 as
> VFAT and made it bootable. I then copied uImage to it. Partition 2 contains
> the rootfs which can be used when booting the kernel from flash.
>
> Barebox /env/config contains: (besides others)
>  kernel_loc=disk
>  rootfs_loc=disk
>  rootfs_type=ext2
>  rootfs_part_linux_dev=mmcblk0p2
>  kernel_part=disk0.0
>
> Trying to boot results in:
> booting kernel from /dev/disk0.0
>
> and then followed by the barebox prompt.

You're using the old default-env which does not support uImage on FAT
(only a kernel directly in a partition). Either switch to default-env-2
and mount the FAT ('mount /dev/disk0.0 fat /mnt') before loading the
kernel from /mnt/uImage.

Otherwise for the old default-env take a look at
<1345472428-17417-13-git-send-email-jlu at pengutronix.de>. Note that for
that to work, the FAT must be mounted by the board code or you need to
setup an automount.

Regards,
Jan