New user: need a hand booting the kernel from NAND

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Thu Apr 19 03:55:00 EDT 2012

On 23:42 Wed 18 Apr     , George Pontis wrote:
>    Machine is a custom at91sam9g45 board with NOR and NAND flash. The
>    bootstrap loader and barebox, and barebox environment are in the NOR
>    flash. All seems to be working well there. The NAND is partitioned into 2
>    chunks: 2560K(kernel),-(root)
>

>    I used ubimkvol to create a volume on root and the nfs command to put a
>    root filesystem on it. Seems to work fine if I get the kernel via NFS.
>

>    I have a good working kernel in uImage format, and used "nfs
>     /var/share/uImage  /dev/nand0.kernel.bb" in an attempt to write it to the
>    2560K partition. The nfs copy seemed to work fine. However, it will not
>    accept the image. I get messages about an unknown format, suggesting to
>    try -f. Was it the wrong procedure that I used to copy the uImage ?
>

>    Thanks for any help or pointers.
I recommand you to use upate command to bo so

update -t kernel -d nand -m nfs -f /var/share/uImage

I recommand you also to drop the uImage support and boot the zImage directly

you will boot more fast

and I also recommand you to boot from nor if you can

so you don't need the bootstrap

Best Regards,
J.