Envfs embedded in barebox.bin

robert.jarzmik at free.fr robert.jarzmik at free.fr
Thu Nov 17 11:02:22 EST 2011

----- Mail original -----
De: "Sascha Hauer" <s.hauer at pengutronix.de>
> My issue is that while I'm developping my board code, I have no feedback (because no console available).
So you are doing LED debugging? That's brave ;)

That's crazy. It is the method I used to bring this board into the linux kernel, and I still have my good morse over a LED code, with which I debugged early initcalls in the kernel. But that's very very tedious :)

> Most boards have this in the config:
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC=y
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_PATH="defaultenv arch/arm/boards/guf-vincell/env"
> This means that the content of defaultenv/ and arch/arm/boards/guf-vincell/env
> is embedded into the binary (common/Makefile) and gets mounted during
> startup (common/startup.c line 113)

Ah, this is the wheel I was speaking of :)
I had missed the "CONFIG_DEFAULT_ENVIRONMENT_GENERIC" part, and I didn't see anything in the linker (as it actually is in a generated .h file ...).

Great, thanks for the info, I just recompiled, and a hexdump shows my environment within barbox.bin.

Cheers.

--
Robert