crc32 command

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at sunsite.dk
Sat May 14 17:50:07 EDT 2011

Hi,

 >> The crc32 command is largely legacy from u-boot. Would there be interest
 >> in a cksum command (it's afaik just like the normal crc32 except it also
 >> uses the length) or md5/sha1/sha256sum? We have all the infrastructure,
 >> so it should be easy to add.

 Sascha> md5sum would be very useful. Would it add much to the binary space?

I don't think so. I did a quick little proof of concept implementation
(which would work for any algorithm supported by the digest stuff) and
it ended up like:

 size lib/md5.o common/digest.o commands/md5.o
   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
   2841	    152	      0	   2993	    bb1	lib/md5.o
    339	     16	      0	    355	    163	common/digest.o
    969	      0	      0	    969	    3c9	commands/md5.o

So less than 1K if you already use md5/digest for something else,
otherwise ~4K.

I'll clean up the code a bit more and send a patch.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard