partitions

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Mon Feb 28 03:57:57 EST 2011

Vanalme Filip wrote:
> I'm not that familiar with partitions in Barebox. On my i.MX27 board, I now
> have :
>
> barebox:/ devinfo
>
> devices:
> |----imx_serial0
> |----cs0
> |----ramfs0
> |----devfs0
> |----mem0 (defaultenv)
> |----mem1 (mem)
> |----imx_spi1
> |----mc137830 (pmic)
> |----mem2 (ram0)
> |----imx_nand0
> |----nand0 (nand0, nand_oob0, self_raw, env_raw, nand0.barebox,
> | nand0.bareboxenv, nand0.kernel, nand0.root) ----fec_imx0
> |----miidev0 (phy0)
> |----eth0
>
> drivers:
> imx_serial
>      ramfs
>      devfs
>    fec_imx
>     miidev
>   imx_nand
>  cfi_flash
>    imx_spi
>      imxfb
>    mc13783
>        mem
> barebox:/
>
> and :
>
> barebox:/ ls -l /dev
> cr-------- 4294967295 zero
> crw-------       6125 defaultenv
> crw------- 4294967295 mem
> crw-------        256 pmic
> crw-------  134217728 ram0
> crw-------  268435456 nand0
> cr--------    8388608 nand_oob0
> crw-------         32 phy0
> crw-------     262144 self_raw
> crw-------     262144 self0
> crw-------     131072 env_raw
> crw-------     131072 env0
> crw-------     262144 nand0.barebox
> crw-------     131072 nand0.bareboxenv
> crw-------    2097152 nand0.kernel
> crw-------  265945088 nand0.root
> barebox:/
>
> I think this looks OK.
> However, I expected this to work (I took this from descriptions on the
> Internet...) :
>
> barebox:/ erase /dev/nand0.kernel.bb
> stat /dev/nand0.kernel.bb: No such file or directory
> barebox:/
>
> and
>
> barebox:/ tftp zImage /dev/nand0.kernel.bb
> open: Read-only file system
> barebox:/
>

> Is there any documentation that handles/describes this ? (e.g. what's the
> extension .bb ?)

'bb' means "Bad Block", and defines a layer that is bad block aware, and can
handle it in a correct manner.

Add "CONFIG_GLOB=y" to make a script work, that add the *.bb names to all
existing nand partitions.

jbe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | Phone: +49-8766-939 228     |