PMIC device driver

Vanalme Filip F.Vanalme at TELEVIC.com
Wed Feb 16 03:37:53 EST 2011

Up till now, I could not start up the network on my i.mx27PDK board. After measuring on the device, I could see that power was missing for the PHY. Good reason, of course, for not starting up...
To enable the missing power, I have to adjust some registers in the PMIC device (mc13783).
If I look into the mc13783.c file, I could see that this has similarities with Linux device drivers. So, to access the PMIC, I guess I have to do an open("/dev/pmic") and then a read or write. However, when I look to the pmic_read() and pmic_write() function, they have, besides the device pointer, buffer pointer and buffer size, an offset parameter that indicate the register within the PMIC to read/write. On the other hand, the standard read and write functions only take 3 parameters (device, buffer, buffersize). How do I pass that offset to these functions ? How do I use the PMIC device driver ?
(Maybe this is a general Linux device driver question, but I'm not that familiar with device drivers, so...)

Is it the best way to do it like this (open, read, write), or do I better call those functions directly ? (I have to set the PMIC registers in the "late_init" function of the barebox startup sequence)

Filip Vanalme