FAT filesystem write and long names stability

Robert Jarzmik robert.jarzmik at free.fr
Thu Dec 15 04:28:38 EST 2011

Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik at free.fr> writes:

> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> writes:
>> It would be great if you could give it some testing as obviously my test
>> patterns didn't reveal the 'create folder' bug you described.
> Tomorrow or wednesday, I'll make the few tests I always do (making a
> directory, copying a file, deleting a file, etc ...) and report.
This is what my tests give back:

**** With FAT caching (barebox.git/next + rjk mioa701 support):
barebox:/sdcard time bmp /sdcard/help.bmp
time: 6895ms
barebox:/sdcard time cp /sdcard/help.bmp /sdcard/toto.tmp
time: 13278ms
barebox:/sdcard ls -l help.bmp
-rwxrwxrwx     230454 help.bmp
barebox:/sdcard

**** Without FAT caching (merged pu/block into barebox.git/next + rjk mioa701 support)
barebox:/sdcard time bmp /sdcard/help.bmp
time: 9219ms
barebox:/sdcard time cp /sdcard/help.bmp /sdcard/titi.tmp
BUG: failure at common/block.c:248/block_

The "BUG" thing prevents me from going further. But it seems the cache in main
tree speeds up things. I also think that creating directories without files
serves no purpose I can think of, and is an acceptable tradeoff for the improved
performance.

Cheers.

--
Robert

PS: help.bmp is a converted bmp, 320x480, 24 bpp from :
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQssQd1VBKJUde7lZpU49GVwDaZbNGvbDNbrOeSbPrL_MfBkK61SA