scripts for testing barebox in qemu

Antony Pavlov antonynpavlov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:23:36 EDT 2011

Hi!

Some times ago I made the scripts for building mips cross-development
stuff: toolchain, patched qemu, firmware, linux and small rootfs.
I named the scripts 'clab'.

Today this scripts work not only for mips, but for arm, pc and
sparc32 too.

(Yes, yes, I know about the existing projects of such type.
I'm planning to migrate to buildroot in the future.)

Also clab has a script for running qemu in convenient way.

In this letter I want propose this scripts for very easy testing
of barebox on MIPS Malta (with initial PCI support) and
on ARM Versatile.

A small instruction:

1. clab will install toolchain and qemu to /opt/clab, so prepare it

sudo mkdir /opt/clab
sudo chown $USER /opt/clab

2. get and unpack clab

wget http://prizma.bmstu.ru/~antony/barebox/clab-0.34.tar.gz
tar vfx clab-0.34.tar.gz
cd clab-0.34

3. build toolchain, qemu, firmware, linux & rootfs

./mk_src_dir.sh
./build-all.sh

If you don't want build linux & rootfs you can disable
options --build_linux and --build-rootfs.

Clab will put all compiled stuff in the directory 'out'.

4. start barebox

./start-qemu.sh qemu-configs/versatile-linux-gnueabi/barebox-no-network-stdio

./start-qemu.sh qemu-configs/malta-linux-gnu/barebox-no-network-stdio

Also you can run linux:

./start-qemu.sh qemu-configs/versatile-linux-gnueabi/stdio-no-network

./start-qemu.sh qemu-configs/malta-linux-gnu/stdio-no-network

5. starting barebox with network support need root
permissions to setup tap network interface.

So to try barebox with Realtek 8139 on PCI bus run this:

sudo ./start-qemu.sh qemu-configs/versatile-linux-gnueabi/barebox-stdio

--
Best regards,
  Antony Pavlov